[opencms-dev] Some problems with Ubuntu

Marc Schlegel my.mailing.lists at gmx.de
Mon Jun 9 23:06:58 CEST 2008

Marc Schlegel schrieb:

>> Florian Hopf schrieb:
>>

>>> Hi,

>>> Are you running the server on the same machine as firefox? If you
>>> haven't installed an xserver on the server machine, did you start tomcat
>>>   in headless mode?
>>>
>>> Which version of java are you using? Sounds to me like it's one of the
>>> free versions (IcedTea or OpenJDK) that have no sun specific classes
>>> included. But I have no idea why these classes would be needed in the
>>> first place .,..
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Florian
>>>

>> Yes, I run tomcat on my local machine. What is teh headless mode?
>> I installed the latest JDK from sun and changed JAVA_HOME to that
>> folder. By the way, I am not using the packaged version of Tomcat since
>> this was kind of weird with the folderstructure.
>>
>> But maybe the java-browser-plugin points still to the openjdk (which is
>> still installed)...I am going to check that.
>>
>> regards
>> --Marc
>>

> Ok, I just checked it.
>
> The applet is working after I installed the sun-java6-plugin for mozilla
> (I removed the openjdk as well) but after the file is uploaded it is not
> appearing in the list.
> So I checked the logs and I am getting the same error I get with the
> classic uploader
>
> *ERROR [rg.opencms.workplace.CmsDialog:1423] Der Workplace Dialog hat
> einen Fehler verursacht.
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
> sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment*

It took me some time but I found the solution about this headless.
The problem arose only when I started tomcat with my jsvc-daemon-script
(with startup.sh it worked). I just added -Djava.awt.headless=true to
the CATALINE_OPTS in my script.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction, but still I have no clue
what this is about...I just fixed it ;)

regards
-- Marc