[opencms-dev] OpenCMS website localization

Roman Uhlig roman.uhlig at knve.de
Mon Sep 1 14:01:03 CEST 2008

Hi David,

there are already a lot of posts about this. Please search the mailing list
archives.

In short:

How do i create localized (multilanguage) sites?

-> You use "new sibling" and create a linked vfs branch to your major
language and set property locale. Any changes can be done in either of the
language paths and will effect all siblings.

How do i mantain localized (multilanguage) sites?

-> This is still a big flaw in OpenCms. There is no functionality that
really supports maintaining multi-language sites. If a user adds content, he
adds it just in one language. He would have to link it manually in other
languages. Of course this very impractical and many CMS editors are just not
able to accomplish this. I don't know why OpenCms 7 didn't bring any
improvements on this, since the content engine has been overworked. But
unless you don't code some vfs synchronizing by yourself, their seems to be
no solution.

Roman