[opencms-dev] OpenCMS website localization

Martin Wunderlich mwunderlich at salesforce.com
Fri Sep 12 12:23:52 CEST 2008

Hi David,

We currently have 17 different locales on our website (5 of them English language) and it works somehow like this:

 *   The localised sites are located under sub folders of the main domain, whereby the subfolder name consists of the ISO country ID, e.g. www.salesforce.com/es for Spanish.
 *   Some locale specific content is externalised to properties files, but not the main body text of the pages.
 *   Translation is generally a one way street from en-US to all the other locales.
 *   To get a web page translated, we run an export that picks up the respective pages, based on a custom property that we have included in the templates. The export file then gets dumped to an FTP server, from where it is picked up every so often by the translation management system (feels a bit ancient, IMHO; this should happen in real time through a web services interface).  We do some automated tweaks to the manifest file of the export file (replace locales IDs and such) and then import back into OpenCms.

Some things that I really miss are better support for image localisation, the web services interface mentioned above, and a better OpenCms interface for sending files for translation. Also, it would be great to have a WYSIWYG interface for externalising information to properties files, so that non-technical content editors can create properties on the fly.

Cheers,

Martin