[opencms-dev] ACL logic

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Wed Sep 17 11:07:18 CEST 2008

Not sure I follow exactly what it is you are trying to do, but remember
that explicitly denying a permission is different from removing the
permission.
If you explicitly deny a permission then it cannot be overridden whereas
if you remove (uncheck in the UI) a permission on the folder, then you
can allow it for a file inside the folder (by checking it in the UI).

Roberto Melino wrote:
> I've a lot of file in a folder and I need to create a group for every
> file to operate (write/publish) on it (one group only on one file).
> My first idea was to deny actions on parent group of my set of groups
> over the container folder and, than, enable for each file the permission
> for the owner group. I thought, wrongly, that using the flag
> /overwriting inherited/ will modify the denied permissions to enabled
> where the group change the permissions from the parent ones. I learned
> to my cost that the ACL login doesn't work in that way. The enabled
> permissions are overwritten, the denied ones are added.
> I found on Dan Liliedahl' book /OpenCms 7 Development/ that the way to
> obtain the permission behavior that I need is to set enabled and denied
> permissions for every group on every file. This solution is not
> applicable for me because groups and files change continuously and are
> too much to be managed in such a way.
> Have anyone of you an idea to solve my problem?
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> *Roberto Melino*

Claus Priisholm, CodeDroids ApS