[opencms-dev] OpenCMS website localization

Michael Moossen m.moossen at alkacon.com
Thu Sep 18 12:33:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just want to share my experience with content localization.

As far as i know all projects developed by Alkacon (normally i work
developing the core) that had to deal with localization were using the
several folders with siblings approach. Which is, in my opinion, quite
easy to setup but not to maintain, despite some project were also
including different approaches to automatic sibling creation.

So when i started to develop my first website from scratch with OpenCms
(http://www.moossen.net/) a couple of weeks ago, i tried a different
approach.
And i thought it would be enough with a single folder structure for all
locales, a 10 LOC locale handler (see
org.opencms.i18n.I_CmsLocaleHandler) and a cookie.

But this turned out to be a very bad and naive idea, mainly because one
URL is having different content:
- try to flush browser cache when the user changes the locale.
- try to tell google that he has to set a cookie for indexing different
languages.
- The same applies also for the static export, and everything else...

so, for now i am just appending a meaningless lang parameter to every
url, which is working but awful :(

But i learnt by heart that you MUST have different URLs for different
locales.

My next try will be (as soon as i get the time for it) to implement a
resource initialization handler (see org.opencms.main.I_CmsResourceInit)
with a link substitution handler (see
org.opencms.staticexport.I_CmsLinkSubstitutionHandler).

The idea is to have in OpenCms a single folder structure that will look
to the outside world like several folders for the locales.

On one side, the resource initialization handler will intercept the
requests and remove the leading locale folder from the URL (if you
request /en/index.html, it will read the OpenCms resource at /index.html).

And the link substitution handler will generate the links with a locale
folder prefix. (if in /index.html you have a link to /about/contact.html
(and let say the selected locale is en (with a cookie, for instance), it
will generate in the html output a link to /en/about/contact.html.

I hope this will workout as i expect, and i was just checking the API
and it seems to be easier to implement than i thought, so i better start
to code now ;)

Hope that helps

Kind regards,
Michael