[opencms-dev] installing opencms while preserving an existing database

Sat Oct 25 16:13:17 CEST 2008

Hi,

if the new setup is _identical_ (including IP information) to the old
one (paths, opencms version, configuration) it should be working as a
simple copy (and overwrite) action. Just overwrite the database and the
app directory of the new server with the data from the old one. After
shutting down mysql ("mysql stop") you can simply tar ("tar -zcf
mydatabase.tar.gz /var/lib/mysql/$database") the database and untar it
on the target server. You should migrate the opencms directory too to be
sure that the whole configuration is identical because otherwise opencms
might have problems reading modified objects.

So:
  1.) Do a full setup on the new server
  2.) Shut down tomcat and mysql (on both servers)
  3.) Overwrite the target server with the files from the current one
(mysql, opencms). If IP information has changed take a closer look at
the contents of (var/lib/tomcat/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/conf/*).
  4.) Check "opencms/WEB-INF/conf/opencms.properties" if the database
config does fit the new environment
  5.) Check "opencms/WEB-INF/conf/opencms-system.xml" if the mailhost
config and site config is still ok
  6.) Startup the new server.

br,
Philip