[opencms-dev] Repeated (daily) crashes of OpenCms 7.0.5

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Feb 19 20:21:28 CET 2009

Hmmm you write:

> - There's some evidence that the threads are waiting for something to happen with MySQL.  We observe this behavior:  our sites remain up and running, but no one can log into the Workplace.  The stacktrace in opencms.log is shown below (much clipped to save space.)  Our IT people say there is nothing unusual in the MySQL logs that correspond to these exceptions.

Maybe it's something entirely different, but you should take a look at when and how your backups are done. Usually, when mysql is backed then usually, the DB is locked for writes during that time to get a consistent state copied into the backup.

A recommended way for doing backups with MySQL is, to do constant replication to a second db server instance and then take that replica offline for backups. When bringing the replica up again, it will automatically catch up again quickly.  In this way you get a consistent backup of your DB without blocking the main app.

Regards
Christian