[opencms-dev] Repeated (daily) crashes of OpenCms 7.0.5

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Feb 19 23:32:32 CET 2009

oh well - reading helps. Since you wrote that the backups are not done
around the time when things crash, then backups can probably not be the
cause for this.
Concerning the 404 handler: this handler is not only used for delivering
404 error pages - it also seems to be (and more importantly) used for
static export. So if you have any static export active (including static
export on demand, where the file system is used as sort of an additional
cache), then the exported pager are generated like this (description is
for export on demand):
- Publishing something clears out all files in the export folder
- request URLs for exportable resources are rewritten to point to the
export folder
- when somebody requests a URL that was not yet exported, then the 404
handler kicks in. It will check, whether the same resource that is
missing in the export location does exist in opencms. If so, the
resource is generated, delivered and written to the export folder
- when another request is done for the export location, opencms has
already written the file there, so it can be served from the export
folder by tomcat directly, without the 404 handler of opencms being
invoked again to re-generate the resource.

This seems to be the mechanism as far as I understand.
So, if static export is active, then the 404 handler will ultimately be
triggered to cause the resources to be exported. This does not explain
though, why the crashes happen "only" once a day. Unless the crashes are
happening not too long after having published something or clearing the
export folder for some other reason.

Best Regards
Christian