[opencms-dev] Problems setting up OpenCMS

Gregor Schneider rc46fi at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:39:54 CET 2009

Hi there,

I've just downloaded OpenCMS and I'm trying to install it, however, to no avail.

Some information:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr
Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.18
Server built:   Jul 22 2008 02:00:36
Server number:  6.0.18.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.6.0_10-b33
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

MySQL: 5.1

I've copied opencms.war into a webapps-directory of one of my virtual hosts.

Installation works fine until the following URL is requested: GET
/opencms/setup/step_8b_data_import.jsp HTTP/1.0" 200

The installation simply hangs, and the last line in the installation-window is

9954:	( 30 / 77 ) Parsing links for
"/alkacon-documentation/examples_jstl/functions/StringCapitalization.jsp"...
o.k.
9953:	( 29 / 77 ) Parsing link

And then nothing happens, the installation-window just asking me to wait.

The only thing what's unusual with my installation is, that the
hostname (i.e. www.somehost.com) does not get resolved via DNS /
etc/hosts. Usually Tomcat doesn't care about this, so I'm wondering if
this could be the reason for the installation-procedure to not
continue?

I've also browsed through the opencms-directory and the Tomcat-logs
searching for some opencms-logfile, again to no avail.

Could somebody please shed some light what's going wrong here?

If required, I can post the output of the installation-window,
however, since it's pretty big, I'm a bit reluctant to post it here
unless somebody asks for it.

Is, btw, any option available to create a log-file during the
installation and make OpenCMS a bit more talkative?

We're currently evaluating some CMS, and actually OpenCMS was one of
my personal favourites, but that's a pretty bad start, esp., since the
documentation is only available after having installed OpenCMS.

TIA

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2