[opencms-dev] Problems setting up OpenCMS

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Tue Mar 10 00:48:25 CET 2009

Gregor Schneider ha scritto:
> Hi there,
>
> I've just downloaded OpenCMS and I'm trying to install it, however, to no avail.
>
> Some information:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:       /usr
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.18
> Server built:   Jul 22 2008 02:00:36
> Server number:  6.0.18.0
> OS Name:        Linux
> OS Version:     2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
> Architecture:   amd64
> JVM Version:    1.6.0_10-b33
> JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
>
> MySQL: 5.1
>
> I've copied opencms.war into a webapps-directory of one of my virtual hosts.
>
> Installation works fine until the following URL is requested: GET
> /opencms/setup/step_8b_data_import.jsp HTTP/1.0" 200
>
> The installation simply hangs, and the last line in the installation-window is
>
> 9954:	( 30 / 77 ) Parsing links for
> "/alkacon-documentation/examples_jstl/functions/StringCapitalization.jsp"...
> o.k.
> 9953:	( 29 / 77 ) Parsing link
>
> And then nothing happens, the installation-window just asking me to wait.
>
> The only thing what's unusual with my installation is, that the
> hostname (i.e. www.somehost.com) does not get resolved via DNS /
> etc/hosts. Usually Tomcat doesn't care about this, so I'm wondering if
> this could be the reason for the installation-procedure to not
> continue?

Opencms will export some resources into the file system.
Opencms does that by creating HTTP requests against its own JSP and
writing the results of that into the file system.

It is very probale that this will fail if the server cannot reserver the
name under which the opencms site is configured.
> I've also browsed through the opencms-directory and the Tomcat-logs
> searching for some opencms-logfile, again to no avail.

There should be a separate log file for installation activity. I think
it's in WEB-INF/logs inside of the opencms webapp.
Normally, the installation assistent makes the setup quite smooth.
Especially Tomcat/Mysql is a very well-tested combination.

hth
Christian