[opencms-dev] Failing MySQL database creation

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 18:47:30 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to install OpenCms 7.0.5 on a Linux system running Tomcat 5.5 and MySQL 5.0.45.
The problem I'm having is with the setup wizard configuration of the database tables.

Unfortunately the installation guide on the OpenCms webpages isn't much help with this. In
the initial wizard setup page the popup tooltip text indicates that the "Setup Connection"
user is employed to create the database and tables. The "OpenCms Connection" connection
user is used after this for normal OpenCms operations, and the "OpenCms Connection" should
not have database privileges. The Wiki states this "The database user account that is used
for production should have reduced privileges. It should not be able to access other
databases, nor should it be allowed to create or delete any databases or tables."

However, it seems that the setup wizard is at odds with these guidelines because when I
try to create the database I get the following error back:

Tables could not be created!
Error connecting to database using: "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/opencms".
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Access denied for user 'opencms'@'%'
to database 'opencms' at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:936) at
com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2985) at

So it looks as though the opencms user (the user I've designated as the OpenCms MySQL
user) is being used to create the tables. If so this means I need to grant extra privilege
to this user beyond that which the documentation says it should be granted. The opencms
user certainly has access to that database, but does not (as specified in the Wiki) have
permission to create tables.

So, what is going wrong here? Is the documentation wrong and I really do need to grant
extra privilege to this user, or is it the setup wizard trying to create the tables as the
wrong user?

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555