[opencms-dev] OpenCms 7.0.5 crashes with high load

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Mar 26 09:50:14 CET 2009

Hi

First of all the obvious things are to use static export where possible
(in your case probably static export on demand) and to make the best
possible use of the flex cache, by creating JSP includes with properly
tuned cache variant settings for the various bits and pieces of your
templates. I trust that you do that, but it can't be stressed enough.

If these things are addressed then you are still faced with the
inavoidable load that is generated by the parts of your pages that are
really specific for those pages and that don't appear anywhere else.
Here, opencms seems to be a pretty bad database hitter. There is a
module available in Alkacon's commercial module package that I would
expect to decrease the database load dramatically because it caches
important file system resources inside of opencms. I have not used that
module but I have recently profiled the performance of our own opencms
installation and with a plain opencms installation it seems that the
same SQL statements can be issued repeatedly in short order. After
understanding that, I configured the query cache of MySQL (MySQL has a
cache that can store the results of queries that occur again in an
identical fashion). With a 32MB cache I already got cache hit rates for
SQL queries in the range of 60, 70% and MySql load went down
dramatically and this was with extensive use of flex-cache, some
request-level caching in my own template-supporting classes and a
workload that exports the whole website (about 8000 generated pages)
into static files.

Of course, caching on the database level is by far less effective than
caching instances inside of opencms, so I would expect the Alkacon
accellerator module to give a much better speedup than a cache in the
database can offer. So it might be worthwile to look into Alkacon's
module package, if you already make proper use of static export and the
flex cache.

Best regards
Christian