[opencms-dev] Sites down due to export error

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Apr 16 18:08:13 CEST 2009

> The export function is giving me hell.
>
> Our system is modified the "old" way, with mod_jk and mod_rewrite. We'
> ve got this setup running on several servers.
>
> When we started using OpenCms, we mistakenly assumed that all site
> folders should be placed under the "/sites/default" folder, e.g. /
> sites/default/site1 and /sites/default/site2. We then discovered that
> this was not a good idea, due to the overlapping "default" folder, so
> I am currently in the process of moving folders from /sites/default
> to /sites - so we get e.g. /sites/site1 and /sites/site2 instead.
You do not HAVE to move your files.
You can also change your opencms website configurations and tell opencms which site roots should be used for your configuration.

The /sites/default folder is only a suggestion that is pre-configured with a fresh opencms installation. But there is nothing magic about this folder. You can change your opencms site configuration and then it will be a normal folder like any othe.

The first thing to check is if your sites work properly when you call them through a browser.
Use a browser without opencms login session and go - for example by pointing your browser to something like
  http://www.arcticsystem.no/cms2/PATH/TO/PAGE.html

In this case: do you get the page that is lying in your opencms file system at
 /sites/arcticsystem/PATH/TO/PAGE.html

> The problem on this particular server is that static resources (css
> files, images and such) are not getting exported like they should
> after I moved the folders. I tried to clear the export folder, but
> that did not help. The export folder remains _empty_!
>
> Apache's error log shows a whole bunch of errors like this one:
>
> proxy: DNS lookup failure for: dev.cruise-handbook.npolar.no returned
> by /export/system/modules/no.npolar.cruise/resources/construction.jpg,
> referer: http://dev.cruise-handbook.npolar.no/en/hornsund/index.html
>
> I double checked using nslookup, and all is fine - the relevant
> domains are all pointing to the correct server.
To me, this really does not sound as if it is connected to your static export configuration or your site folders.
It seems as if the sites/names themselves are not yet configured properly.

Opencms will issue http requests against itself, so first try, if your various site names are properly understood by opencms by trying out URLs with a browser as described above.

best regards
Christian