[opencms-dev] XML Content Editor Not Saving Special Characters Correctly

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 06:40:44 CEST 2009

I have an ongoing problem with the XML Content Editor not saving special
characters. I have narrowed this problem down to a servlet filter. Recap as
follows.

I find that if I save special character in the XML content editor, (for
example the pound "£" character), the XML content editor seems to insert an
extra character so the value stored becomes "£". However, I can
successfully save special characters in the same XML file if I use "Edit
Control Code".

Christian has kindly made several suggestions, such as setting the encoding
property of the XML file to UTF-8. Sadly, setting the encoding property did
not fix the problem.

Christian also suggested rolling back OpenCMS JSP files a former colleague
had changed. So, I did a fresh install of OpenCMS and found that the problem
disappeared.

Then I re-added a 3rd party servlet filter (mapped to JSPs) called
MobilityFilter and found that the problem was back again. So, I concluded
the issue was related to the servlet filter, not the former colleague's
JSP changes.

I have used this 3rd party servlet filter in applications outside OpenCMS
and the filter did not cause the same problem when saving special
characters.

However, I cannot make the 3rd party servlet filter and OpenCMS work
together to handle special characters. Furthermore, the 3rd party servlet
filter is an integral component in our application, so removing it is not a
solution.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Regards Brett S