[opencms-dev] New/better solution for generating nice URLs?

Roman Uhlig roman.uhlig at knve.de
Tue May 26 14:41:15 CEST 2009

I'd just like to ask if there is any new approach/solution planned/available
for generating SOE-friendly URL's for OpenCms web applications. I know there
are some solutions (Sebastian Himberger etc.), but I'm talking of a more
production-like multi-server setup, where web proxy/server and application
container are not running on the same machine.

That's the situation right now:

1. OpenCms standard installation

www.domain.com/opencms/opencms/site/category1/subcategory2

-> absolutely horrible, not only for SOE

2. with site container ("/sites/site")

www.domain.com/opencms/opencms/category1/subcategory2

-> not much better

3. OpenCms as ROOT webapp

www.domain.com/opencms/category1/subcategory2

-> we are getting somewhere

4. OpenCms behind a web proxy/server

www.domain.com/category1/subcategory2

-> thats what we want

The problem is, that 3 and 4 are hard to do or impossible in a multi-server
environment, where several webapps may reside in one servlet container. E.g.
requests to one of our application servers (Tomcat 6) are tunneled through
Apache mod_jk on another server, while the application server is running a
Wicket webapp and several other things.

So thats why I'd like to throw the question in, if there are known solution
together with OpenCms or if there is something planned for upcoming 7.5 or
later releases? Also I'd be interested if other people have this problem in
times where SOE optimization gets crucial.

Thank you in advance,
Roman