[opencms-dev] Create a static offline copy of a site

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Jun 13 12:36:28 CEST 2009

Paul-Inge Flakstad ha scritto:
> Hi List
>
> We need to create a static, offline version for one of our sites, that will make the content available to users without an internet connection. These static files will be stored on a CD or some other media, and browsed from there. I was thinking of using specific software for the job, but...isn't this just the same as doing a static export in OpenCms..? I have never done a "manual" export in OpenCms, so if anyone can answer this (and maybe provide some pointers on how to do it - this has to be done today) I would appreciate it.

Hi

static export should be usable for this, if you configure it in such a
way that it creates relative links instead of absolute links.
However, a while ago (read: early opencms 6) I had trouble with relative
links and at that point I switched my static export to use absolute
links instead. I have not tried to export with relative links at a later
time. Static export is configured in opencms-importexport.xml. The
opencms wiki should also have have a bit of information on static export.

One limitation of static export is, that it of course exports the
complete web site. If you want to make the main site downloadable but
don't want to include large media resources then this might be a
problem. For creating a working partial copy of a site, an external
download program might be the better choice then. A program that I can
recommend is httrack, which exists for both *nix and Windows.

So, If you want an offline version of a complete site, I think static
export with relative links configured is worth a try. If you want
something more complicated, try out httrack and automate it through a
job or something like that.

hth
Christian