[opencms-dev] Sorting files in explorer view

Achim Westermann achim.westermann at gmx.de
Wed Jun 17 23:18:42 CEST 2009

Hi Jakub,

I heard that feature request some times before. Understandable, because
the UI kind of looks like the Windows Explorer, which allows sorting.
And yes, the workplace lists support sorting by columns. Personally
speaking: I don't know of a sponsor that has been willing to pay us to
implement this feature for OpenCms and I don't know if a contribution
has been negotiated with Alkacon for this feature.
Still speaking as an indivdual person: Open Source with quality and long
term continuation does not mean that anybody has the right to check in
source code (because sometimes the changes are highly driven by a short
commercial project timeline and result in proprietary project - specific
solutions that would infect other users of OpenCms with proprietary and
most often undocumented assumptions - this is what I often see in
commercial OpenCms customizations: No documentation and a lot of
specific behavior and I call it "infection of Open Source with
economics"). Quality and reusability has to be watched, to avoid the
slow death into unmaintainability and defectiveness of an Open Source
solution. Open Source also does not mean, that the "keeper of the core
quality" is able to implement features for free while delaying or
dropping paid projects. This is what I call "the control of economics on
Open Source". In an ideal world I had all the time to deliver an optimal
product without any thoughts on how my payment would reach me. Be able
to implement every feature that seems valuable for the community and
also make me proud to have it inside the product. But where does my
payment come from? Nice words, fame and hugs make me happy, but I cannot
take those luck - bringers to a super market and buy something.

So there is a danger that money (and transitively often assumed that
"very short time" to market solutions save money [I have to laugh about
those "short time solutions" I have seen]) infects Open Source with
defects and incompatibility (loss off generic usability)). And on the
other hand there is control over the advance of the product that is
QA'ed by some instance by money. Open Source - I think - is not free
from a dependency on economics. At least if the contributors do it
professional and have no spare time to earn money and still want to
ensure quality (on the other hand the developers had to spend much time
on earning money an had to waste their free time sitting at home  in
order to implement the gifts for the community). But quality Open Source
is inviting and enabling to share valuable development and about having
the possibility to get back valuable and QA'ed features and improvements
(the latter without expenses).

Personally I'd like this feature to be in OpenCms!

Kind Regards,
Achim.

Achim Westermann