[opencms-dev] How to structure modules

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Tue Jul 7 09:23:42 CEST 2009

Marc.Schlegel wrote:
> Hello Everyone.
>
> For my company I am going to create a product website first, but later
> we might move the company website to OpenCms as well. Due to that I am
> thinking of a good way how to structure my modules (e.g. dependencies).
> For example, the product website will have a "news" contenttype which
> relies in a content-module that is dependent on the template-module. But
> "news" are not so special and it would be nice to reuse the same
> contenttype for two templates.

I think it depends on how big you expect  the modules to become and how
many people will work on this in parallel. If the content types and
templates don't become too big and if they aren't completely unrelated,
then you can probably stick a couple of things into one module to ease
deployment. If many people work on this in parallel or if your templates
are extremely different without any code re-use between them or if many
people will work on this in parallel, then you could split things
further, but otherwise, I wouldn't.

> How should I do this?
> Or is it better to have just one template module, that actualy has two
> (or more) templates and one content-module containing all contenttypes?

Having a content module and a templates module sounds like a good
approach to me. This was also what entered my mind after I had read the
first paragraph of your mail.

Best Regards
Christian