[opencms-dev] server is not reacting after a time of inactivity

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:39:03 CEST 2009

Frank Pertack wrote:
>If after a long time of inactivity somebody calls the web-page of our
>intranet, he will initially get a 500-Server-Error, the server doesn't
>respond. If he retrys after a while, the start-page is displayed normally.

Apologies if someone else has already answered this old post, but the
issue *might* be MySQL wait_timeout. As I understand it, the default
value for wait_timeout is 28800 (seconds) or 8 hours. After 8 hours of
inactivity, MySQL closes the connection. If this is the problem, the
solution might be increasing these values:

wait_timeout=86400
interactive_timeout=86400

Cheers

Brett