[opencms-dev] rebuild from db backup

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Oct 7 21:27:21 CEST 2009

Roedel, Mark wrote:
> So my OpenCMS server took a hard drive related nosedive overnight.
>
> I *do* have a complete backup of the database contents.  (Yay!)
>
> Can I just do a fresh install of the same version of OpenCMS on new
> hardware, stop Tomcat, restore the database contents, restart Tomcat,
> and be back in business?  Or are there other steps that I might be
> overlooking?

You also need to take care that your opencms instance is configured
correctly. This includes of course DB configuration but also the other
xml files, especially also opencms-modules.xml!

If you import modules then upon import, the module metadata (like custom
resource type definition information) for each module will be added to
that xml file and then be loaded from there at system start. So you at
least need to re-import your modules properly and might also need to
make additional config adjustments to other config files, as needed. Or,
if you have a folder of your webapp folder and not only of the DB then
just restore the webapp folder as well - that together with the restored
db  would give you back your complete installation.

If you restore the webapp folder from elsewhere, make sure that the file
permissions are set properly so that your servlet engine can write them

All the best
Christian