[opencms-dev] OpenCMS Use Cases

Nitin Gupta nitin.res at srishtitechnet.com
Sat Oct 24 19:54:02 CEST 2009

Hi All

I am new to the world of CMS, so this mail of mine in general applies to all
CMS solutions out there and not just necessarily to OpenCMS.

I am slightly confused on whether I should go with a CMS solution or not. I
though the best way to resolve this is to post to forums and ask the
experts.

I am developing a web based invitation application which is based on JSP and
Spring MVC. It is required to run inside a Tomcat Container. My main
intention of using a web cms in my application is following:

-          To manage efficiently the static content on the pages

-          To manage the design templates which users can use to make their
invites

-          To manage the hyperlinks which will navigate users to other
partner sites

-          To manage the content feeds from other partner sites

-          And if it is suggested, I would also like to manage the reference
data (drop down menu options etc)

To begin with I expect a modest content on my site but I am contemplating
the use of a cms at this stage for following reasons:

-          It will become part of the process to manage pages or parts of
the pages with a cms

-          CMS will help us modify the content using an admin console. This
will help us manage the site better.

Please suggest if I am thinking in the right direction or if my needs are
too basic for a Web CMS like OpenCMS. If not CMS, then what should I look
at.

Rgds