[opencms-dev] OpenCMS Usage

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Nov 9 11:57:49 CET 2009

Dear Nitin Gupta
> We are writing a web application but this application will be supported by
> quite a number of static pages as well as static content on the dynamic
> pages which will be rendered through my Spring MVC based application. My
> application will have following types of pages:

> The content that I am looking to manage from OpenCMS is :
>
> -          Static banner advertisements (page type 1) with formatting on my
> application pages
>
> -          Images for template selection (page type 2) can be served
> completely from OpenCMS
>
> -          User education material (page type 1) with formatting on my
> application pages
>
> -          And if possible, the drop down menu options on application pages
> which can be rendered using some JSP tags

Thank you for the clarification. This should be very feasible.

Opencms allows to use third-party taglibs in its JSP templates. There
seem to be people that have used Spring in connection with it.

You should try to develop a clear idea how you will handle sessions,
i.e. try to come up with a clear idea whether your spring application
run inside of the opencms web context or as separate application. The
latter could be a bit uncomfortable depending on how you handle login
state and user information but people seem to have done it both ways:
running an additional application separate or inside of the opencms
webapp. The latter might be a bit easier to accomplish.

Overall, opencms should be a good fit.

Hope that helps
Christian