[opencms-dev] multisite: wrong effects on correct settings 2

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Sun Jan 10 19:11:31 CET 2010

Hi Jacek

Your opencms-system.xml looks OK, but why are you using port 8081 and port 8080? That should not be necessary, and it seems different from what I'm used to in our OpenCms multisite setups.

To create a multisite setup, it should be sufficient to define the site in opencms-system.xml, like you've done. If you're integrating Tomcat with Apache, you'll typically also need to append a ServerAlias inside the appropriate VirtualHost section Apache's httpd.conf + any other modifications that may be required. Currently, I'm consistently using "The simplest solution" (http://tinyurl.com/mdtedg) as suggested by Sebastian Himberger for Tomcat/Apache integration, because it is simple and it works.

As for the strange behaviour you are experiencing with the files, I'd clear all OpenCms cache (from the OpenCms Administration view), and also clear the "export" folder under ${TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps/${OPENCMS_WEBAPP}/. Then restart Tomcat.

Regarding your DNS, it also seems correct. You want requests to be routed to the same OpenCms installation, so using an alias should be the way to go. We usually register the domain name used as the workplace-server (in opencms-system.xml) in the DNS, and then add an alias for any other domains hosted on the same OpenCms installation.

HTH.

Best regards,
Paul