[opencms-dev] Apache httpd in front of Tomcat in 2010, yes or no?

Sebastian Himberger sebastian.himberger at gmx.de
Tue Feb 2 16:38:39 CET 2010

Hi,

you are right: Tomcat 6 has a very good performance even for static
resources. So from a performance point of view it should not really be a
problem.

I still think Apache is a good choice in 2010 because:

 - It is well integrated in most Linux distributions. This means
logging, service runner, etc. are well proven and tested. The Ubuntu and
Debian Tomcat installations are
   IMHO not very good and on the Tomcat mailing list you are always
encouraged to set up your own instance.
 - If you have to scale you can use Apache as a load balancer (although
there might be lighter alternatives) and this is also a well proven
solution.
 - You can easily update your OpenCms/Tomcat by installing 2 Servlet
containers and switching back forth without downtime. This is also very
useful if you have
    problems with your Tomcat/OpenCms.
 - There are plenty of modules (throttling, security, etc) available for
apache which can most likely be set-up in minutes thanks to your
distribution.

All the best,
Sebastian