[opencms-dev] url mapping question

Tim Daschner timd at thedoleco.com
Thu Apr 1 15:45:26 CEST 2010

List,

I have had a chance recently to work on another web content management
system that is commercial, proprietary but very similar to opencms in its
featureset/capabilities. I miss one feature of that system in opencms and i
wanted to pick your brains to see how that feature is implemented (if at
all) with opencms. So, in this other cms, there is a capability to do custom
URL mapping such as mapping
http://www.somesite.com/articles/cars/ferrari/enzo.html to a folder that
could be named anything (such as
//content/syndicated/sports/ferrari/enzo.html. This gave my client the
ability manage structure of the content folders in the vfs independent of
the URL of that content. This is important because clean URLs matter to SEO
and matter to the end-users who like to pass them around. However, that
clean URL could mean nightmares when allowing different editors to work on
content or to be able to organize content by sources and so on in the VFS.
In OpenCms (on the other hand), AFAIK, this URL mapping is wired into how
you create content in the VFS. So, for the enzo url above, you will NEED to
create that enzo.html content in a folder called //articles/cars/ferrari.
That - to my client - could seem like the system forcing him to work in a
certain way and may or may not be acceptable.

So, has anyone run into this? It will be great to hear ideas on how to get
this done in OpenCms. It is highly possible that this is already available
in OpenCms and I just dont know - in that case: I would love to be corrected
by the list.

--
Tim