[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 8 Release: any news?

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Tue Jun 15 14:16:47 CEST 2010

Hello Marc,

> I went through some slides again and I must have missed the Q4 somehow
> or mixed it with the upcoming Eclipse release :-D
>
> Anyway, there is another important question:
> The mailing-list archive didnt give me any results on the keyword
> GENERIC and I am very interested in the actual state regarding this
> issue? At the OpenCms-Days the question was if OpenCms should stick with
> the current method signatures for backward compatibility or use new
> features like Generics, but I couldnt find any results on that poll.

Regarding the use of Generics, there will will be soem kind of tradeoff
between using them and not changeing the API too much for compatibility
reasons.

> So I browsed the CVS-Head and I couldnt find any new signatures with
> Generics. Neither about the mentioned JPA DB-Drivers.

The current CVS head contains fixes/additions for the last OpenCms
release 7.5.2. This is not the code that will become OpenCms 8 later
this year. The development code has not released to the public so far.

> Can you give some update on that matter please? Have some features been
> dropped?

Actually, I cannot say which features of our OpenCms wishlist will it
make into the final release. If you read the slides of the OpenCms Days
carefully, you see what the main focus of OpenCms 8 will be. Everything
else depends on the time that is still available.

Kind regards,
Michael Emmerich