[opencms-dev] Large file handling

Tibor Gyimesi gyimesi at eutecus.com
Tue Aug 10 01:26:37 CEST 2010

Hi All,

   My question is that is there any good solution for handling large files (files around 300MB)? The only thing that I
found is to set the max_allowed_packet to 1000M or something, but is this case it will store the whole content off the
file in the MySQL database. Currently, I'm talking about 70GB of data, that I really don't want to store in one MySQL table.

   Is there any option to static export during file upload? So, the file would be stored in the file system, but the
permissions and other settings are in the database.

   I think having this amount of data on a website is not unique now days, and I hope is there a solution in the new
version of OpenCMS. Currently, we are using the 6.0b3 with some modification in the source code to handle big files, but
we really don't want to maintain this modification. So if there is no solution for this problem, we have to stick to
this version.

Thanks for your help,
   Tibor