[opencms-dev] File System Serving Binary Assets

Jens-Uwe Mozdzen jmozdzen at mozdzen.de
Thu Feb 3 16:52:58 CET 2011

Hi Joe,

opencms-dev-request at opencms.org schrieb:> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:40:24 -0500
> Subject: [opencms-dev] File System Serving Binary Assets
>
> Hello,
>
> We are using OpenCms and would like to know if anyone else has experience
> hosting binary assets such as video, pdfs, word, etc... external to the VFS?

Coincidentionally, this was subject of discussion last week on this
mailing list.

> In particular we would like to store and serve these binary assets on a
> local file system or remote media server while maintaining references to
> these objects inside OpenCms content type objects. Some of the challenges we

I have implemented such a scheme for Opencms 7 as part of a larger
project (video site) a few years ago.

> are having include integrating search, using the native OpenCms admin GUI
> for file system/media server CRUD operations, and maintaining separate asset
> host URLs. Any comments regarding architectural decisions, third party

My implementation uses the idea of "symbolic link" resources in
Opencms: While there is an Opencms object with all meta attributes as
available in Opencms (attributes, access control, validity and such),
any content access goes to the RFS.

> tool.integration and helpful examples would be welcome.

I was asked by members of this list to publish the code and will look
into packaging and licensing issues soon.

Regards,
Jens