[opencms-dev] opencms 8: special characters are replaced with question marks

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Feb 11 20:12:02 CET 2012

On 11.02.2012 19:23, Christian Steinert wrote:
> I have a strange problem since the update from opencms 7.5 to 8.0.3.
>
> The property editor will turn any special characters (e.g. Russian or Chinese characters) into question marks. Only normal latin characters survive.
I think I found a solution. I added the following options to the [mysqld] section of the my.cnf file and now it works properly again.
character_set_client     = utf8
character_set_server    = utf8
default-character-set    = utf8

I also found out that the currently active settings for character set and collation can be displayed in mysql  by executing:

mysql>   SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set%';
mysql>   SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'collation%';

I am still confused why I needed to add these settings, though. The connection parameters for the jdbc driver contain the information that UTF-8 encoding should be used and I had no problems in opencms 7.5 with the same connection strings and the same database configuration.

Best regards
Christian