[opencms-dev] OpenCms clustering on cloud servers?

Steve Bryan steve.bryan at shinetech.com
Thu Aug 2 06:37:50 CEST 2012

Hi all

We would like to move our OpenCms website to a cloud platform with multiple
production nodes, with the ability to fairly dynamically add and remove
virtual servers to make the most of flexible cloud server
resources. Currently our site uses OCEE clustering and replication, with a
master content admin server replicating content to three static public
facing cluster nodes.

Does anyone have experience or ideas around having OpenCms on such a cloud
platform, with the ability to add or remove nodes fairly dynamically?

We forsee problems including the following:
1. OCEE publishes content from our 'master' content editing server to slave
nodes using an event driven model. If nodes are absent (eg taken out of the
cluster), then they are not kept in synch.
2. If a new node is added, then how could we quickly synchronise the
content with the master to get the node operational?
3. Config is done statically in xml files: if a node is taken away or
added, then config files need to be updated and tomcat restarts done - it
is not truly 'dynamic' as we would hope for in the cloud model.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Regards
Steve
Shine Technologies