[opencms-dev] Properties files and UTF-8 characters

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Tue Jan 29 16:42:24 CET 2013

Hi Olli,

Can't say if there have been improvements on this in OpenCms, but I faced the same issue some time ago, working on a site with content in Russian.

My solution was: instead of the "normal" CmsJspActionElement.html#label(java.lang.String) method, I used this one:

public String labelUnicode(String key) {
        try {
            return new String(this.label(key).getBytes("ISO-8859-1"), "UTF-8");
        } catch (java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException e) {
            // Really shouldn't occur
            return null;
        }
    }

(Above method is part of a convenience class extending CmsJspXmlContentBean.)

Not the best solution, but it's simple and it works.

Cheers,
Paul