[opencms-dev] Add custom jpa pool

Georgi Naplatanov gosho at oles.biz
Fri Jul 26 12:30:55 CEST 2013

Hi Lisa,

actually OpenCms' JPA layer uses 2 pools:
  - pool for database connections
  - pool for EntityManager instances

There is an example how db connection pool can be configured with Apache
DBCP - http://openjpa.apache.org/faq.html#pooling.

If you want to use a pool for EntityManager instance, you have to do
that yourself, it's not difficult for implementing.

On 07/26/2013 12:41 PM, lruggeri at maticad.it wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i’d like to use jpa to access some tables in an external database
> already accesible from openmcs.
>
> How i can configure my jpa unit in order to use connection pooling
> provided by opencms?
>
> And how to get the EntityManager? It seems to me that
> CmsSqlManager.createEntityManager does not support pooling.
>
> Database configuration is now in opencms.properties file

Yes, all db configuration parameters are in opencms.properties because
of  easily configuration, but in your case - additional persistence
unit, it is easier to configure that unit in persistence.xml file.

HTH

Best regards
Georgi