[opencms-dev] Scheduled job ignores specified time and runs every hour

Christian Steinert christian at christian-steinert.de
Tue Jul 30 12:27:39 CEST 2013

Dear all

We have the problem that our cron jobs run much too often. Several of our jobs run once per hour even the cronjob configuration says that the job should only run once per day.

For example, I have configured a scheduled job with the standard opencms class to clear the opencms log table once every day.
However, the job runs every hour and not at the specified time.

The cron job definition is as follows:

    Java Class: org.opencms.scheduler.jobs.CmsRemoveOldDbLogEntriesJob
    Cron Expression: 23 9 * * * ?
    Reuse Instance: [ ]
    Active: [x]
    User name: Admin
    Project: Offline
    Parameter: max-age=30 days

Based on this definition the job should run one time each day at 9:23. But the logs say that the job runs instead at 8:09, 9:09, 10:09, ...
We have the same type of problem not only with this job but also with other jobs for which it is a problem if they run too often. There is no problem in the opencms log for these jobs - the jobs run and complete normally.

We are using opencms 8.5 running on Tomcat 7, Java 7u25, Mysql 5.5

Any insights or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Christian