[opencms-dev] Setup hangs an Mac OS X when setting docBase in Tomcat / Illegal access error

Klaus Kruse mail at klaus-kruse.de
Thu Aug 15 11:30:36 CEST 2013

Hello,

i'm trying to setup the latest version of OpenCms on my Macbook. Here's all
relevant information:

OS Version: 10.8.4
Java (java -version): java version "1.7.0_25"
Tomcat: 7.0.42
MySQL: 5.5.30

Tomcat and MySQL were installed with brew. The second screen ("component
tests") gives all green check marks. I created a db user for opencms and
password and creating database/tables runs just well.

Here's the relevant part from my server.xml

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="/Users/kkruse/opencms_8"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

        <Context docBase="opencms" path="" reloadable="true">
        </Context>

The idea was, to simply skip one directory level and serve everything from
the root. This seemed to work: Tomcat unpacked the .war and served
http://localhost:8080/setup

Here comes the first curiosity: Tomcat creates one directory named
"opencms" and one named "ROOT" in the appBase which has nearly the same
size as the "opencms" folder

Installation then runs for a while and stopped then. The last lines of
catalina.out were like this:

Aug 15, 2013 10:24:59 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
findResourceInternal
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load org/opencms/setup/messages.properties.  The
eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the
illegal access, and has no functional impact.

So, my question: Does OpenCms rely strictly on being accessed over
http://server/opencms/setup ?

Thanks for any answers and best regards,
Klaus Kruse