[opencms-dev] 3xOpenCMS sharing one Database, yes or no ?

Jose Ignacio Yarza jiyarza at opensistemas.com
Wed Sep 11 11:13:07 CEST 2013

Hi List,

This is an important issue that I would like to share with and if possible
get from you some valuable and informed feedback.

We have setup in a production environment three opencms (8.5) instances over
three independent JBoss (not clustered), sharing one same Oracle (11g)
database. There is an Apache web server balancig between the three JBoss
instances. This environment is read-only, there is not content management
concurrency, only dynamic page generation for a website.

The issue is that there is a performance degradation that does not happen in
our other single-instance environments, which are setup in the standard way
(named development and test).

I know about the potential problems with the data access parts managed
inside the three JBoss instances, where we'd find three different connection
pools, Solr indexes not in sync, flex cache,...

Question: So, Is it an affordable task to tune up this setup and make it
work fine? Do we need OCEE? Is the pain worth it being a read only
environment? Wouldn't be a much better solution, in this read-only scenario,
using static export altogether?

I know this is a recurrent matter,  and have read good information but also
some divagation about it. I have my own opinion (go static), but it seems
not enough for politicians, that's why I am asking here. Any official advice
on the overall idea is also very welcome. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jose Ignacio Yarza

Open Sistemas

Tel: 649 157 537

logo_open