[opencms-dev] Permissions containerpage and it's elements

Marc Johnen opencms at johnen.biz
Tue Feb 11 18:35:31 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

I've build a website with a lot of departments

department a
department b
department c
department z

For each department I need a usergroup which may edit one department, but
not the others.
So I set the permissions the permissions on the corresponding folders with
the container pages.

To be able to edit the elements of those container pages the user also needs
the permissions for the folder ".content". That means the users are able to
edit the elements of the other departments as well, which I don't want.

So the only solution I see to solve this, is to create a subsitemap for each
department and set the permissions on those subsitemaps (each having there
own .content-folder). That means I have to create dozens of subsitemaps, and
now that I have already created the content, move the elements to those
subsitemaps (a lot of work :-( ).

Is there an easier way to achieve my goal? A natural behavior, in my
opinion, would be a permission rule where the permissions of a container
page would be inherited to it's element. Probably that doesn't exist,
because there could be a conflict if an element is being used in several
container pages at once.

Glad for any ideas.

-----
Greetings