[opencms-dev] Creating web user in OC 9

Thorsten Duhn duhn at regio-gmbh.de
Thu Feb 13 15:32:56 CET 2014

Hello,

just another quite stupid question. I formally only worked with OpenCms
5/6 and now I created a new site with brand new OpenCms 9. But I cannot
get things working like they did before and I don't even understand the
underlying concept.

Formerly I went to user administration and was able to create either a
user or a web user. Now there isn't such a possibility, I am just able
to create a user or a user group. Digging deeper shows me the
possibility to create another organisation unit (hopefully terms are
correct, using German interface now) as child of the main unit. So I
created a "Webuser" unit, and doing this there is an option for turning
this into something web user specific. Nevertheless no matter what I try
in creating user and user group, front end login for a user created
within this unit always leads to "Error reading the user" (f.i. in login
of bootstrap demo).

Any step by step tutorial helping me creating a user that can get access
to a restricted area in front end but not to editing or back end login?
No registration or account modification needed, just login/logout.

Regards,
Thorsten