[opencms-dev] setting up proper logging (log4j) in opencms 9.5.0

Christoph Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jan 5 18:47:16 CET 2015

Am 05.01.2015 um 16:13 schrieb Christoph Kukulies:
> While tracing down errors in startup of the OpenCms 9.5.0 redirect
> (/sites/default - Demo Content)
> I'm missing something like opencms_init.log (although configured in
> log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes) or opencms.log
> (which was there but with 0 bytes and dated Feb 18th, 2014).
>
> So, the essence is: where does Opencms write its log or how does one
> configute log4j (if required at all)?

OK, I did another 9.5.0 install and the good news is that without any
changes to opencms-system.xml
the url http://cms.mysite.de:8880/opencms/overview (locally on the
installed server) works fine and also
accessing it remotely through http://cms.mysite.de/overview (with
rewriting and stripping /opencms)
works as well.

The not so good news: opencms_init.log as well as opencms_search.log
together with a bunch of backup logs and other stuff clobbers
the tomcat6 home directory c:\Program Files\Apache_Group\Tomcat_6.0.39
(in my peculiar case).

Looks like I don't need special installation of log4j, but a better fine
tuned configuration of the logfile paths might be
desirable.