[opencms-dev] Lessons learned with the calendar

Roman Uhlig opencms at drakanor.de
Fri Mar 27 15:51:50 CET 2015

We had the same (bad) experience with OpenCms XML-content that reaches a
certain amount of items (unfortunately not as many as you might think).
It's basically as if your database would store every row as XML in a
virtual filesystem. This just can't perform very well at all, the
concept doesn't allow this.
And with something complex like a calendar with events, it goes totally
nuts. A sophisticated calendar is tricky even with a regular database,
with XML content it's server kill. ;)

Unless OpenCms is offering some database connection features (e.g.
through Hibernate) to avoid storing everything in XML in the VFS, you do
better with a real database solution.