[opencms-dev] Questions about OCEE-Cluster and LDAP modules

Schliemann, Kai K.Schliemann at comundus.com
Mon Jul 27 19:31:25 CEST 2015

Hello list,
I know, those questions should go directly to the guys from Alkacon. But I thought, these questions, and the answers could be of interest for everybody.
So here we go:

1.       What happens, when I delete an LDAP-User (or group) in my identity management system (e.g. Active Directory)? Is that user or group automatically deleted in all of my OpenCms instances (in all clusters)? If so, when does this happen?

2.       If I have an already synchronized LDAP-User or group in my OpenCms instance and I delete this user. Is that user or group also deleted in LDAP (if I would allow an application to write to my LDAP server.

3.       If I have an already synchronized LDAP-User in my OpenCms instance and his password is changed in LDAP. Can I still login to OpenCms with my password saved in OpenCms or does OpenCms check against LDAP, if there is a new password?

4.       Can I configure the LDAP connector to synchronize OpenCms' additional user info fields with LDAP attributes?

5.       When does OpenCms get updates from changes of attributes in LDAP for a user (e.g. his postal address or email address has changed). Let's say I want to generate a telephone list based users stored in the OpenCms users. How sure can I be, that those information are correct?

6.       The installation guide of the OCEE modules says, that the database tables should be converted to InnoDB. What happens, if I don't do that or have forgotten to do that? Can I easily run the converter script shipped with the OCEE modules anytime?

7.       When I understand the replication and cluster documentation correctly, I cannot have two workplace servers, each with its own database. Correct? So let's say, my workplace instance gets broken (e.g. the database server is down)? How can I get my workplace server up and running again very fast? Is there a  possibility with OpenCms or do I have to create a master / master of master / slave replication on the database layer?

8.       Corresponding to question 7: Is it possible to configure several db server addresses in the jdbc connection string within the opencms.properties file, when I have a master / master database setup? Could this look like this: db.pool.default.jdbcUrl=jdbc:mysql://[primary host]:[port], [secondary host]:[port]/[database]?

A lot of questions. Please feel free to just answer just one of them.
When I have a complete list of answers, I will put them into the OpenCms wiki.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards
Kai