[opencms-dev] How to code-review

Alberto Gallardo argrico at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 10:37:57 CEST 2017

Hi Alkacon,

I now and then have to debug some code, but there are some aspects of the
build script that are not well supported in my IDE and that prevent a
satisfactory debugging session. (I have already tried NetBeans and now I'm
using IDEA, but both of them have their issues.) So I was forced to review
the build script.

There are definitely some fragments that can be improved, and I already
published some PR and comments to try to improve it:

https://github.com/alkacon/opencms-core/pull/483
https://github.com/alkacon/opencms-core/pull/506
https://github.com/alkacon/opencms-core/pull/507
https://github.com/alkacon/opencms-core/commit/4414fe40f19b54c8e71d6953b1fd574f4d8cf56d#commitcomment-22622726

But slowly I get the impression that for this kind of collaborations, we
yet not have the appropriate tools:
- reviewing code via email lists is too cumbersome and would introduce too
much noise.
- GitHub comments are pretty limited (I have to first find when a line was
committed, and I can only comment on commits).
- GitHub Pull request are also too heavy for this goal: I would be writing
too many PR just to improve one file.
- The gitter chat room (https://gitter.im/opencms-community) is almost dead.

So I was wandering how I could efficiently provide some feedback to your
files when this necessity arises. Should I keep on writing PRs?

Best regards,

Alberto Gallardo