[opencms-dev] How to migrate (website) content to OpenCMS

Gerd Schrick mail at schrick-design.de
Fri May 4 15:40:19 CEST 2018

Dear List,

I'd like to migrate some websites to OpenCMS (version 10.5.3) but I'm still stuck with how to import the content.
The sites have up to 5000 pages (some in 3 languages).

All I've found refers to old OCMS versions with xmlpages but nothing found about current container page technology.
Won't believe that noone hasn't already done a migration to OCMS.
Or maybe it's so obvious and I've just overlooked something.
I really hope to get some helpful hints on how to proceed with this.

It's obvious that I've to prepare/preprocess the existing data (files and structure) ...
As the templating will be simple (first), so I'll have to generate one container page and one xmlcontent file per source page. That seems straight forward with Apache Ant and XSLT.

BUT (the biggest questions):

1. how to get the (prepared) data into OCMS?
- CIFS (network share) seems perfect first, but what about the references/uuis (see also 2. below)? (as they seem to be assigned autmatically on file creation I can't use them as reference before in the preparation process)
- directly to the database tables? (what to put where? Is there some documentation about the data structure and dependencies?)
- as a module?

2. how to manage the references?
container page -> xmlcontent; internal links; external links (in gallery); images/binaries (in galleries); other?
These seem to be uuids ...
- do I have to generate them or is there a functionality in OCMS that will resolve (relative/internal) urls, and if so when?
- if I've to generate them: have these uuids some special logic/format?
- links in content are somehow "extracted" to a links-element - what's the logic/fomat here / what must be generated?

Big thank you for any helpful answer!

Best regards,
Gerd