[opencms-dev] "Creating a template jsp" tutorial problems with OpenCms 11.0.1

Bart Devos bart at krombekehoek.be
Wed Aug 19 17:39:14 CEST 2020

Hi,
I'm trying out OpenCms 11.0.1 in order to test if this could be my future
platform, so far, without success...
Environment:
OpenCms 11.0.1
Ubuntu 18.04.5
Mysql 5.7
Tomcat 9.x
I tried all steps described in the document
https://documentation.opencms.org/opencms-documentation/creating-a-website/creating-a-template-jsp/
several times with no succes.
Problems:
- The docs are not adapted for the latest version, so now and then it is
guessing what is meant
- For the properties for "main.jsp" what is meant with the following line:
template.provider to
provider=org.opencms.loader.CmsDefaultTemplateContextProvider,template=%(templatepath).
Do i have to create a new property "template.provider"? Do i have to use the
existing properties:
provider=org.opencms.loader.CmsDefaultTemplateContextProvider and
template=%(templatepath)? Nevertheless, i tried all those possibilities
without success.
- On several occassions the use of "sitemap" is requiered. Only, my
"sitemap" is grayed out and gives the tooltip: unavailable.
- Bottomline: I did all the steps mentioned in the document as good as i
could until step 5 (included). At the end of step 5 the docs mention: "In
order to check, if everything works fine, go to the index.html directly in
the main folder of your site or subsite". Instead of seeing the jsp template
i get "404 - Page Not Found - The requested resource "/opencms/index.html"
was not found on the server."

Is there some more recent docs about the topic? Another recent step-by-step
tutorial?
Thanks in advance!

Bart Devos.

--