opencms-dev Performance, do we have to wait for 5000 MHz Serv ers?

Alex alex at opencms.com
Wed Mar 1 14:33:04 CET 2000

Hi Robert,

> Do we really have to wait for the 5000 MHz CPU Server
> update to get a usable single user System? What if
> you want to use it with perhaps 100 clients?

Our release plan looks like this:

For he current alpha release (4.0aXX), we will focus on implementing all the
planned but still missing features. If all the features have been
implemented, we will have the beta release (4.0bYY). In the beta, we will
focus on improving performance and quality. If the system is stable and fast
enough, the production release (4.0rZZ) will be made. After that, we will
have enough ideas for new features, and restart the process.

I, too, think we have much room for performance optimization left. However,
if you create "final" output - pages from templates, these will be cached
much better then the workplace, simply because the workplace is constantly
changing and the output cannot be cached at all. We will try to address this
in the beta.

> Another thing is the lack of documentation.

The next release will contain example templates with Javadoc documentation.

Best regards,

Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
OpenCms Group