[opencms-dev] Problems with Multiple Projects

Michael Emmerich emmerich at german-navy.de
Fri Oct 13 22:19:59 CEST 2000

Hello Vishal!

> I was having some problems with creating multiple projects on OpenCMS:
>
> 1) how do I create a project with an entirely new directory ? I tried doing
> that with the new button under new project wizard, but it gives me error. So
> I have to select only an existing directory.

You cannot create a new directory BEFORE you have a project at all. So
you should create a project including the location where you want to
have the new folder (if its a folder in the root directory, you must add
the root folder to your project).
Once the project is created, you can add a new folder in this project,
when you publish the project, the folder (and its contents) will be
transferred into the online project.

> 2) when I select the root directory for more than one project, how will the
> templates directory work, because it then locks up all my files and I cannot
> edit them. Because according to the template mechanism guide, when you
> create a new project it automatically creates the templates folder in the
> root directory, probably that is why it is locking up all the files in that
> directory.

Hmm, this sounds strange to me.
Normally you should be able to select a folder (and of course the root
folder as well) in several different projects, and they should not have
side effects to each other (at least this did not happen to me so far).

For each project, a new copy of the /content/templates/ folder is
created in the project, independend from the ones that might be existing
in other projects. Locking and unlocking files there should not lock or
unlock files in other projects.

When creating a new project, no file should be locked in it initially.
There are only threescenarios when this can happen:

-Something went wrong publishing an ealrier project, but this should
have resulted with an error message then.
-Did you have set up your browser NOT to cache the pages? The Ie most be
set up to look for new pages for each request.
-You might have changed the projects in the pjeject selecto of the
workplace too fast - if the explorer is not loaded completly there is a
chance that it might get confused when switching the projects.

Michael

Private: emmerich at german-navy.de
Work   : michael.emmerich at framfab.de
WWW    : http://www.german-navy.de
         German Naval History & Home of the Squirrel Observatory