[opencms-dev] DHTML Editor

Alfredas Chmieliauskas alfredas at sseriga.edu.lv
Fri Oct 5 21:53:31 CEST 2001

Has anyone tested the jdk 1.3 /1.4  HTMLPane (i mean the html displaying
area component, don't remember the exact name.)?

It has been a long time since i tried to implement it into a publishing
system - but after comparing it with the MSHTML, i chose the MS activex
control, because the java alternative was undeveloped and even buggy. I
wonder if it has changed with the new releases, has anyone got any
expreience?

Why don't we consider a full featured java applet instead of a
proprietary solution completely dependant on the functionality of the
browser?

A solution could also be embedding the mozilla editor (c++)  or its
mozilla blackwood (viewer/editor written in java). Both of these
projects are very alpha stage - but it seems more reasonable to at least
to start the integration (a parallel project with the existing) with an
open-source html editor/viewer than to rely on the MS editor (activex!!!
= bugs and security holes) or client-side DHTML+JavaScript.

Even if it now seems a more straight-forward solution to use any of
these - in the long run the drawbacks are obvious - neither JavaScript,
nor ActiveX cannot be considered as reliable and time-tested
technologies (nor are likely to change their status). And it is very
likely that in the nearest future most of us will end up solving the
buggy IE 5.5 to 6.0 then 6.0 to 6.5...etc.integration issues instead of
improving the functionality of the product. Just think of the increased
maintenance cost that a company will have if it chooses to intstall
opencms....

Pesimistic about proprietary tech,

Alfredas