[opencms-dev] Setup-Wizard with fixed user fails to connect to MySQL

Andreas Urra andreas.urra at x-cellent.com
Thu Oct 11 15:46:01 CEST 2001

Hello,

after serveral installations (of Java, Tomcat 3.3 rc1 and MySQL 3.23.43)
the Setup-Wizard is still not working.

In the Wizard (no matter if Standard or Advanced) I insert
------------------------------------
Resource Broker:    mysql
Database Server Connection: (user) root (password) (blank) [after all, I
deleted any passwords for testing)
OpenCms Connection: (user) root (password) (blank) [by the way: what
does that mean?]

Connetion String: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/
Database: opencms

Create database and tables Warning: Existing database will be dropped:
(checked)
-----------------------

-> no matter what users, passwords or connect-strings I enter, the
following screen stays the same:

-----------------------
Trying to drop database ... Failed

Creating database ... Ok

Creating tables ... Failed

java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access
denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)

One time an absolutely empty database was created. The next time not.
The user-table of MySQL looks like:
+------------------------+------+----------+
| Host                   | User | Password |
+------------------------+------+----------+
| localhost              | root |                             |
| feldberg               | root |                             |
| localhost              |        |                              |
| feldberg               |        |                              |
| %.ourcompany.com | root |                         |

Where do I have to look for the error?
Additional Info: I didn't create a .my.cnf File in /root - is that
really necessary? It is not very well documentated.

Greetings, and thanks for all kind of help,

Andreas