[opencms-dev] OpenCms support for Java 1.4 (beta)

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.com
Wed Apr 3 14:53:23 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I added some changes to support Java 1.4. Most of them are trivial, but
since the JDBC interfaces have changed in Java 1.4 (which affects some
classes in com.opencms.dbpool), the changed version will unfortunatly
not work any longer with Java 1.3. Perhaps we can have some conditional
compilation later.

I advise anyone using OpenCms to stick with Java 1.3 as long as an
update to 1.4 is not important for other reasons.

In case you need 1.4 support, you currently have to checkout from the
CVS and build OpenCms from source. Please check out the main branch and
then the files listed below from the FLEX branch.

Changes required for Java 1.4 support:

http://www.opencms.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/opencms/src/com/opencms/dbpool
/?only_with_tag=FLEX

http://www.opencms.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/opencms/src/com/opencms/file/C
msResourceTypePlain.java?only_with_tag=FLEX

http://www.opencms.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/opencms/src/com/opencms/defaul
ts/master/CmsMasterContent.java?only_with_tag=FLEX

Note:

The web-app_2_3 fix that should prevent downloading of the DTD from the
net is _not_ working with Java 1.4. Currently, you must enter the
complete path (file:// ...) to the DTD in the web.xml file, or the Java
1.4 parser will throw an error and Tomcat will not start the web
application. Im very open for suggestions on how to fix this.

Best regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
OpenCms Group