[opencms-dev] WYSIWYG editor also works with news?

Fuechsel, Andre Andre.Fuechsel at koeln.sema.slb.com
Mon Jul 15 08:15:14 CEST 2002

> I am using OpenCms 4.6.1. I have downloaded the OpenCms Homepage and
> imported as a project. When I go to edit one of the news
> articles there is
> no WYSIWYG editor, but a simple form interface instead.
> There is a video of a presentation of OpenCms on the Open
> Source Content
> Management Conference in Zurich on March 2002, where you can
> see Alexander
> Kandzior editing the news with a WYSIWYG editor. What am I
> doing wrong?

You are probably not using Internet Explorer. One of the major drawbacks of
OpenCms is IMHO that the WYSIWYG feature is limited to Internet Explorer.
It's an ActiveX-Control. Furthermore, to enter source code, OpenCms uses
another ActiveX-Control. I can't see any value of this particular one since
it does nothing more than a simple text area. Not even syntax highlighting.

I recently tried to replace the WYSIWYG-ActiveX with some scripting code
which worked for me but still is limited to Internet Explorer. So this is no
real solution.

The best solution would be to have a Java-based editor with WYSIWYG
capability and HTML-source code editing with syntax highlighting. There is
nothing like this in the Open Source, the closest I could find, is still
Alpha. I tried to extend it but it is far from beeing mature. It is called
EKit, you can try it here: http://www.hexidec.com/ekit.php (site is
currently down?)

But if you want to download the source code to continue the development,
don't use it from this site, it is not modular. I structured the whole thing
into packages and generalized some features into abstract base classes. I
plan to send this back to the original author but I didn't do yet.

If EKit would be finished it could easily be integrated into OpenCms and
replace both Active-X controls. But the problem with this Java-based WYSIWYG
editors is the strange behaviour and strange API of the HTMLDocument in
Swing. If somebody has time and more experiences I can publish the source
code for continuing development.

André