[opencms-dev] OpenCms version 5.0 beta 1 available

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Fri Aug 23 18:24:35 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I am happy to report that the first beta version of OpenCms 5.0 is
available.

This version provides a first view on the next generation of OpenCms. It
also is the official merge of the FLEX JSP development branch into the
main OpenCms version.

You can download the OpenCms 5.0 beta 1 release here:
http://www.opencms.com/download/opencms_5.0_beta_1.zip (binary release)
http://www.opencms.com/download/opencms_src_5.0_beta_1.zip (source
release)

The OpenCms 5.0 beta 1 includes all features from the last "major"
release 4.6.1, the FLEX alpha 1 and the 4.7.7 version. It's at last as
stable as all of this earlier versions. I encourage everyone to try this
version and provide feedback on the opencms-dev mailing list.

OpenCms 5.0 beta 1 also supports Java 1.4. It still runs fine with Java
1.3.

The new Features of the OpenCms 5.0 release are:

* JSPs can now be a sub - element in an XMLTemplate
* The new "official" Connector/J MySQL JDBC driver from www.mysql.org is
used
* The features in the WYSIWYG editor are now selectable
* The "Link" dialog in the WYSIWYG editor has been improved
* The behaviour of the history function can be managed now
* Full support for JSTL 1.0 (the new JSP taglib standard)
* Better support for international charsets in XML templates
* Several other additions and enhancements
* Lots of bugs fixed

Please use our Bugzilla to report bugs in this release:
http://www.opencms.org/bugzilla/

You can find the "TODO" list for the final release here:
http://www.opencms.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/opencms/todo.txt?rev=1.2

The final release of 5.0 will be made available after this TODO items
have been completed. We still need volunteers for some development
tasks. Please have a look at the TODO list for details.

BTW, In case you (or your company) have developed an extension /
enhancement to OpenCms and you want to include this in the next major
relase, now is the best time to commit something back to the community.
This is the best way to ensure that you stay compatible with the major
development branch.

Anyway, have fun with OpenCms 5.0 :-)

Best Regards,

Alexander Kandzior